Frequently Asked Questions
What is NeuroStar TMS?
NeuroStar TMS stands for “Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.” TMS is a medical procedure that works by delivering highly focused MRI-strength magnetic pulses to noninvasively (without surgery) stimulate the brain and treat major depression. This magnetic field stimulate the neurons and show depression symptom relief. Patients being treated with TMS do not require anesthesia or sedation. They remain awake and alert and return to work or their daily routine immediately after each treatment.
What are the benefits and advantages of NeuroStar TMS?
• Treatment that does not involve medications or surgery
• Outpatient treatment
• Statistically and clinically significant improvement in depression symptoms
• No interruption to daily schedule
• No anesthesia
• No undesirable effects on cognition
• Few or no side effects (most common side effects are a mild headache and/or scalp discomfort)
o Less than 5% of patients discontinued treatment due to side effects in a recent study
• Safe and tolerable
• Patients do NOT have to stop taking medication in order to receive TMS
• FDA cleared
Am I a good candidate?
The best way to determine if NeuroStar TMS is right for you is by speaking with your doctor or a referring psychiatrist.
How do I know if I am eligible?
In order to ensure your safety, the following general requirements will need to be met prior to receiving TMS therapy:
• Currently diagnosed with treatment-resistant depression by a psychiatrist, physician, or qualified health care professional
• No foreign metal in the head or metallic/magnetic implants (most dental work is safe)
How often will I receive TMS therapy?
The treatment consists of 36 sessions and the first 30 sessions are scheduled consecutively Monday-Friday over a six week period. Each daily session takes between 18-19 minutes long.
Do you take my Insurance?
Benefits and eligibility will be verified upon physician recommendation for treatment. Each insurance may have different requirements prior to approving Neurostar TMS but that can be discussed during a free consultation with our TMS coordinator.
Still have questions?
Contact us at 813-662-5919 to schedule a consultation.