Coping with Grief
August 30th is National Grief Awareness Day. No one in life walks away unscathed by grief and loss.Grief can come from any type of loss, big or small. One can feel its presence from the loss of a loved one, relationship, pet, or job. Everyone’s experience of grief is unique to them and has no expiration date.
When experiencing a loss, feelings can be all over the place. Emotions can go from disbelief, anger, to sadness. This can make it hard to even think straight and live your everyday life. These reactions are natural responses to loss and no one should feel ashamed about how they feel. Every situation and individual is different and it is unhealthy to compare your journey through loss with others.
Finding healthy ways to cope with grief is very important not only for an individual’s mental health, but physical health as well.
Here are some way to help cope throughout the grieving process:
- Acknowledge the pain and understand the journey is unique to you
- Find support from people who care about you
- Be kind and patient with yourself
- Take care of your physical well-being
- Keep a regular sleep schedule
- Express and accept your feelings
- Allow yourself to still take part in activities you love
- Keep a journal
- Understand the difference between grief and depression
The pain of grief and loss can be eased with the help of time and healthy coping practices. However, it is important to recognize if more outside support is needed to help you through the grieving process.
If you or a loved one is needing more support and care, we are here for you at Embracing Life Wellness Center. Please reach out to us by requesting an appointment.